Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Three Poems by Heath Brougher


Said Spoke

She said spoke of everything, in the past,
her accent aloft the breeze, fibers of May agleam--
a time when I was alive again, out from under the spell of the Brain Cyst,
living, feeling her trembling words and her skin--

no skin has since been so soft as hers;

said spoke of something real, full and real,
she lifted me up into the brilliant glistening
of the atmosphere, a place I hadn't been in ages;
we clasp hands and traded endorphins, truest endorphins
poured without being coaxed by intoxicants--

tulips were our flowers;

she said spoke that she couldn't find the right words
and I was left to guess at her intentions,
but that guessing uplifted me because I knew
by the twinkle in her eye that love was alive somewhere
even if she couldn't properly say speak it to me--

that May will forever burn in memory, bright,
as one of the peaks of my Existence;
her accent said spoke that she like me, that she missed me when I was not near,
and for a few months I existed in her arms
and she existed in mine,
saying speaking words in that beautiful language of hers.



The Vanishing Summer

None tonight; euphony drifted off
with summer; the streets are no longer strewn
with lanterns; no more
luciferin to flicker throughout the night;

our warm nightlights lost,
we are left only to howl
ourselves to sleep
in the nights growing colder
and more lonesome by the second.



Heath Brougher lives in York, PA and attended Temple University.  He has been writing his entire life but didn't begin to submit his work for publication until March of 2014, so he feels like he's got a lot of catching up to do.  He recently finished his first chapbook and has two more on the way as well as a full-length book of poetry.  His work has appeared or is forthcoming in Diverse Voices Quarterly, Bird's Thumb, MiPOesias, BlazeVOX, Of/With, *Star 82 Review, Otoliths, Van Gogh's Ear, experiential-experimental-literature, Five2One Magazine, Stray Branch, Carnival, Inscape Literary Journal, and elsewhere.





No comments:

Post a Comment