Tuesday, April 14, 2015

A Poem by Brihintha Burggee


Ruhi (My Soul)

You're only a blurred image,
Of smiles, affection and piety
A fragile mirage,
I breathe in every moment.
You are the whisper of every prayer,
From a heart whose longing has left it barren.

My ruhi, my qalbi --
Every night you sneak into my bed,
Thrusting a map from my heart to yours,
Tracing away ancient grief with your fingers,
One detour at a time until dawn breaks in,
And you point to your chest, "This is your home,"

I am lost to handful of mornings,
Jealous of the silence of wakefulness that pulls you away,
Like the ocean teasing the shore only to leave it parched.



*Ruhi:  Soul
Qalbi:  Heart



Age 20, Brihintha Burggee is enjoying the experience of writing her first poems.  She lives in a small paradise island called Mauritius in the middle of the Indian Ocean.  Her works have been previously published by The Rainbow Rose, The Camel Saloon, Mad Swirl, Leaves of Ink, Black Mirror Magazine, and Pyrokinection.


No comments:

Post a Comment